Thursday

{staying home, creating home and laying aside the gyspy spirit}

There is this thing right now,
this forsaking of hearth and home and
setting out to travel endlessly,
children and all.
I am not against this in any way,
the families I know who live like this have
a beautiful life, are content and learning and
what they are doing is so very admirable.
No, I am not against this.
In fact so many times I have felt restless and
wished we could buy an rv, pack up and go.



But,
this is not us.
This is not what we are called to.
My gypsy spirit wants to roam but
when it does it returns empty.
Something calls me home,
calls me to a place that I can build life,
love,
memory.
A place where there is comfort and stability,
rhythm, beauty and order.

 
 
I know some who travel and when they arrive home they
feel anxious, restless, dull.
For me it's just the opposite.
When I travel, only for a couple of days,
I return home and sigh in contentment, fall into bed basking
in comfort, feel such joy and gratitude that I have this place,
this home,
to live,
daily.



Beauty.
Rhythm.
Order.
Peace.
Comfort.
Joy.
Legacy.

These are the things the making of a home offers.
These are the words I long to permeate my life.
So while my friends and family,
while other homeschooling families,
travel and experience,
I will lay my gypsy spirit down,
we will stay put in a home which doesn't move,
wherever that home may be,
pressing in, cultivating, blooming.

May beauty grow,
may beauty be reaped. 

Photo: Fire and cocoa, first of the season. #autumn #stayathomemyheartandrest

STAY, stay at home, my heart, and rest;
Home-keeping hearts are happiest,
For those that wander they know not where
Are full of trouble and full of care;
  To stay at home is best.        5
 
Weary and homesick and distressed,
They wander east, they wander west,
And are baffled and beaten and blown about
By the winds of the wilderness of doubt;
    To stay at home is best.        10
 
Then stay at home, my heart, and rest;
The bird is safest in its nest;
O’er all that flutter their wings and fly
A hawk is hovering in the sky;
    To stay at home is best. 



 -Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

5 comments:

  1. Your words remind me we are always at the perfect place in time. Blessings Mama

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Amy. As always, it feels so good to read your words
    and see the beautiful pictures. : )
    Marie xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh how I love to come here, you are the friend I wish I lived next door too <3 xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel the same way about staying home. No place I'd rather be.

    ReplyDelete