Thursday

to say thanks and give you something

three years ago,
i started this blog.
When I first started it, I titled it To Train Up a Child with Love,
in outcry to what seemed to me an epidemic of a whole lot of child training
on the internet but not a whole lot of love,
a lot of people following the Pearls,
the Ezzos, {even family following the Ezzos} and
to be honest,
it just kind of made me sick.
i didn't know of other blogs and websites 
that spent time teaching of another way
as i do now.
all i knew was i was disgusted by all of the advice out there,
telling people to force their children into first time obedience,
to hurt them for any disobedience,
and i wanted to be a voice for something different,
something that looked a bit more like Christ's grace and mercy and
less like authoritarianism and cruelty.

(The LORD is merciful and gracious,
         Slow to anger, and abounding in mercy).


and so i started the blog,
the name being a bit of a joke,
to train up a child with love ,
because you know, without love we are just a bunch of clanging cymbals.
over time i started posting about other things,
church, our family, learning at home, theology, justice,
really just living a life while attempting to love {God and everyone}
in general.
and so i changed the name, the url,
but still so much of what i have to say focuses on the children.
because hey,
did you know the children are our future? :)

so it's been three years and i have made some beautiful friendships and
even,
maybe,
helped and encouraged some.
in these three years we have moved back home to ca from wa state,
had miss pearl,
left the institutional church and
just grown closer to God and each other.
it's been a beautiful journey.
thank you for walking it with me.

to celebrate and say thank you i'm having a giveaway.
three of the things i talk about most on my blog are
books, coffee/tea, and photos.
so i'm going to give someone one of my favorite books,
an awesome coffee mug and any photo from my daughter layla's
etsy shop. 


if you want to enter you can leave a comment.
if you want to enter again you can follow me and leave another comment.
if you want to enter again you can "like" to love on the fb and leave a third comment.
i'll pick a winner tuesday the 26th.

thanks for being my friend and hanging out with me these three years.
love you guys.

*updated: winner of giveaway is Hannah, #7, picked by random.org*

24 comments:

  1. pick me again (i like you on fb!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. pick me a third time! (i follow you) :) Though, let's be real, the likelihood of you picking #1, 2 or 3 at random is slim. Fingers crossed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Amy!
    Just found your blog! Awesome, can't wait to read more of it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for linking up your blog at RU, Amy. :) I look forward to reading more!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I added my name to your email follow list. Thanks for entering me in the giveaway! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations! I have enjoyed your blog so much this year. I don't FB, and I already follow you, so this will be my only entry. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't been reading your blog all 3 years but I have gone back and read a lot of your entries to get your "history". I'm a grammy of 6 and even though I'm not raising any littles, I still appreciate so much your philosophy of love. Your children will be wonderful additions to this sorry old world. Many blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy 3 years! You know, I'd never considered it until this post, but there is a wee bit of irony in your naming your gently-raising daughter Pearl.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy anniversary! Glad you are here. Very. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. The best gift for me will be when we can meet in person. xox

    ReplyDelete
  11. ok...so I don't usually sign up for things like this...because, after all, who actually wins? not me, lol... but to read one of your favorite books IS enticing enough to give it a shot. *smile*
    Hope you have a beautiful week end.
    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your blog. I love the things you say.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am following you on facebook too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm so glad to have met you through this blog thing! Best present ever!

    ReplyDelete
  15. AND I'm your facebook friend for EVAH!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm just commenting again to remind you that I'll follow you anywhere. Except, at this point, gluten free cooking because no one here is allergic and even though our brains are probably swollen and such, "Aint nobody got time for that"
    MWAH!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I know your contest is over but I still wanted to say how much I appreciate your approach to loving kids...a couple years ago somehow I came across your post 'to be attached' and it was such a breath of fresh air to my spirit...you put into words the way I want to be as a mom... I want to love my kids as my Father loves me, and I'm trying to figure out how that looks, and i felt like the only person on the planet who was trying to do things that way, instead of raising them up in fear and controlling their every move. Thank you so much for your honesty. You are a blessing to my spirit! Be blessed!

    ReplyDelete