Tuesday

to be awesome

Somedays I wake up and
I am a complete mess.
I just can't get it together.
Breakfast is a disaster,
house is thrashed and
kids have declared battle against everything and everyone.
By ten I already feel like an utter failure
and I just want to crawl under a rock and hide away until
someone comes and cleans the house and makes
a peace treaty with the little people.

But it's not going to happen and
if I don't get a grip and get down to business,
chaos will continue and grow and my
sense of failure will consume me.

And so I hit the bathroom,
the one place in the house I occasionally have to myself (but not usually)
and get a glimpse of my failed, worn and weary self in the mirror.

"Hey," I say to self in mirror.
"Get a grip. You are not a failure."

Then maybe I splash a little water on my face.
"Seriously. It's okay."

By now there's a bit of light breaking through.
"Hey! You're a child of God.
You are freaking awesome!"

And it's true.
I am.

You too weary mama.
Lonely, worn out, ready to quit.
You are freaking awesome.
Truly, and
don't forget it.


*my daughter layla cringed when taking this picture. she rolled her eyes a lot.  and my son josiah told me i should replace the awesome with dorky.  i am freaking dorky.  well, it's true.  i am.  but i don't care because even if i'm dorky i am still FREAKING AWESOME!*

6 comments:

  1. *sigh* I needed this, today. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep we're all FREAKING awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You make me *smile*!
    I wish you were my neighbor!
    and btw, THAT is a super adorable picture of you!
    Keep preaching it lil mama!
    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok, you truly are adorable. and awesome. and so am i. and so are all of your other readers. yay, us!

    ReplyDelete