Thursday

to make a marriage last

 ***this is the last in my small little series of marriage posts,
leading up to our anniversary (which is today!),
the first is here,
the second here,
and this repost is the last...***

"do you know what love is?"
and i smirk,
haughtily thinking what kind of a stupid question
is that,
and he looks at me with those eyes,
those eyes,
and i realize it's not a joke,
not a stupid question,
he is serious,
and maybe there is a reason for the question
so i grasp for words and
babble about good feelings and care,
and i'm only a new christian but i know that somewhere
in the Bible
it says something about
God being love,
so i tell him that.

as he looks at me,
i can tell i missed the point,
and he says,
"yes, God is love,
but what does that mean?
what does that mean for us,
in our marriage?"
we were soon to be married,
and to me that meant
romance, companionship,
someone to care about you,
but i could tell,
to him,
it was so much more,
and i wanted to understand because,
i knew,
that was a good thing.

"um...."
finding me speechless,
a very hard thing to do,
me,
the lover of words,
always one to speak up,
to voice an opinion,
even when i shouldn't,
but here,
in this moment,
i had no words.

he saw my ignorance,
my wonder,
and answered,
"when you love someone
your concern is not what they can do for you,
or how they make you feel,
it's what can you do for them,
how you make them feel."
i look up at him,
i know he feels this for me,
his consideration for me pours out of him
like beautiful melodies flow from
a symphony,
and i bite my lip,
afraid,
searching young soul,
can i love like this?


and ten (as of today... woot woot!) years,
seven (in Dec.) children later,
his words resonate in my head daily,
as he constantly shows his love for me,
seeking to fill my needs before his own,
and i limp along,
learning, slowly,
to love
as he has told me,
shown me,
as He has told me,
shown me,
and his words are so dear to me,
for they are what make a marriage last,
a family flourish,
learning to truly love.

 4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.



10 comments:

  1. Happy Anniversary! What a beautiful post...it made me tear up a little. It's like a Jane Austin novel up in here! ;) So lovely, congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the marriage of the words family and flourish. Splendid read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your words sing to me about truth of what love is and how I got it all wrong in my young years. Gorgeous.

    Happy Anniversary!
    My Blog

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was so beautiful Amy. What an amazing husband and family you have!!! Happy Anniversary!! And I do hope we get to meet one day after we move to Boulder---how lovely that would be!!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely post! Happy anniversary to you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm a visitor and just read your post. Wow! Absolutely loved this! Very powerful. Can feel the moment and your emotions in it as if I were there!

    I thought my "5" was a big number, but seven! That's awesome. Hope you don't mind me taking a look around.

    Stop by and visit some time if you'd like!

    And happy anniversary!! May God continue to bless you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  7. oooh happy anniversary dear friend! i love that he loved you enough to ask you that question. this, what our husbands are for, no? to make us more like God, who is love? bless you both. xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely portrait of love and marriage. Happy anniversary as you celebrate love, in all its height, breadth and depth.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations on both 10 years of marriage and baby #7. Somehow I missed that news....*hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so happy, Amy, for your happiness...and his...and your love manifested through all the beautiful little ones...

    ReplyDelete