Wednesday

to let my arms pop up

that step of faith remains buried
deep
it's like all that stuff i did
that i wish i didn't
and i hide it away,
in fear of what will come
if it is unearthed

it's down so deep
and freedom is just beyond reach,
and all i have to do is dig it out,
but what if...
and every time the what if's come
it is buried just a little more
and i am reminded the hard part
is taking that step
that once i do,
God moves,
like moses
who had to raise his arms,
before
God parted the red sea,
and i wonder if he was like me,
frightened about what would happen
if he took that step
of faith,
if he raised his arms,
because he knew he had to,
but maybe that faith was so deep,
so deep,
he had to reach inside himself and pull it out,
rummage around inside,
through the junk, the sin, the fear,
the pain, the trial and error,
until finally he grabbed hold of it,
pulled,
and up popped his arms,
and God said,
there we go,
and the sea parted...

so here i am,
rummaging,
and i've found quite a bit i want to forget,
but i think i've almost found that faith,
i feel it in my hands,
i think my arms are starting to pop up...



linking with emily


14 comments:

  1. pop. i was telling someone last week about when i went into ministry and how the pastor affirmed for me the feelings i was having...so excited and yet so scared...and there i found faith...

    ReplyDelete
  2. raise them up, girl!! He'll be holding them up for you. love this prose.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...there we go. Love that. Love reading your words.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh - I especially love the last stanza!

    ReplyDelete
  5. this spoke to me. Today I have been battling what ifs.
    THanks for reminding me to raise up my arms.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You can trust Him. It's understandable to be afraid sometimes. I love the line from The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe: "Is He safe? No - but He's good. He's the King, I tell you!"

    ReplyDelete
  7. exquisitely spoken...you are so deeply wise and filled with love and faith and courage...raise your arms...even if you fall, they'll be their to catch you when you touch down on the ground...and then you'll get up and try again.

    gentle steps

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh, so, so, beautiful:

    God moves,
    like moses
    who had to raise his arms,
    before
    God parted the red sea,

    i can only imagine, moses was afraid, what would the people think, if he popped up his arms, and God didn't do anything? but then he proved his fear of God was greater than fear of man. how you teach me, sister. xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is awesome! I pray faith on you. But it's a hard prayer to say in faith because I know too well the fear that I'll pop my arms up and nothing will happen. May that never paralyse you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh i like this! now please excuse me while i go search for my faith. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amy i can feel the faith in your beautiful words...truly inspiring! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful.
    I recognise this too, feel this searching, grappling for faith within.
    And how I just want to become that faith alone, free of all the distractions and fears that keep it from surfacing.
    Thank you for these words :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. love the image your words paint.
    real and emotional,
    beautiful prose.

    ReplyDelete