Wednesday

To make my way home

I watched the sunflowers along the way
from the 5 in Northern California,
beginning as soon as we left
the majestic beauty of Shasta County

down the 5, past bad memory land of sacramento,
patches of sunflowers lining the highway,
and they didn't stop,
three hours later,
followed by yellow love,
now on the 41,
and they were still there.

getting stuffy in the car,
longing for air, for freedom,
and i look out my window
and they're still there...
every where,

as if they have taken over the california highways...

and i imagine a car of granola kids,
driving the length of california
sprinkling sunflower seeds out the window
as they go...

and when they reach shasta county,
they stop,
in awe of the immense forests of trees,
mt. shasta,
the serene creek running throughout,
they decide no added beauty is needed here...

My husband laughs when I tell him my story,
where I think the sunflowers came from...
I tell him the california poppy should not be the state flower,
it should be the sunflower...
he smiles...

we drive on,
I watch them out the window,
a constant companion on this drive,
a delightful companion...

and I am just a broken person trying to make my way home,
in more ways than one,
looking for beauty wherever I can find it along the way...

linking with emily today...


8 comments:

  1. and dropping a few seeds yourself...i love sunflowers...and i like the story...smiles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i am a broken person with you, friend, and sunflowers are my favorite, and i love the idea of granola children planting them... your mind works wonders. this is a beautiful link. xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. amy, this is lovely! i love that the familiar "yellow love" accompanied you home. :) and gladder still that you have eyes to see the beauty. glad to be reading your words today, friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How creative and fun, and looking for beauty wherever I can find it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "a car of granola kids . . sprinkling sunflower seeds out the window as they go" What a whimsical thought :)

    "just a broken person trying to make my way home . . looking for beauty wherever I can find it along the way"
    I love the way this takes all the sunflower beauty you described and applies it to our hearts. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. glad I stopped by, sunflowers bring such a smile to my face, granola kids, very cute
    loved this piece

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love, love, LOVE this! The line about granola kids is so awesome.

    ReplyDelete