Saturday

to be silent

but not forever...

preparing our hearts, hands and minds for a sixteen hour journey,
husband,
myself,
six bundles of joy... big ones and little ones...

to drive through Oregon,
miles of lush forest,
the scent of pine so strong,
we will roll the windows down and breath it in,
and I know one child will exclaim
it smells like Christmas...

past a shimmering blue lake,
filled at the edges with thousands of logs,
and we will make up stories about
running,
jumping,
dancing on the logs,
not falling into the blue beyond,
except for the one who does,
and she will tell how she swims into the middle of the lake,
and a mermaid appears,
and they dance in the water under the moonlight,
until a boat finds her and brings her back to us,
frantic family waiting,
and she tells us of the mermaid dance,
and she says only her sisters believe her...

We will drive on...
into California,
where I will declare that I am home,
though we still have 8 hours to go,
and we will stop at that over crowded gas station,
in the beautiful town with the name which
is made fun of by the townspeople in absurd ways,
and my husband will buy a souvenir glorifying the mocking,
most likely a sticker that says,
I love Weed, CA...

and I will roll my dark green eyes,
and crumple it up,
throw it away,
and it's okay because he just bought it to get a rise out of me,
and I reacted just as he knew I would...

a couple more hours through the beauty of Northern CA,
then cities begin to appear, 
and these last 5 hours of the drive
I dread.


But eventually we pull off the main highway,
we begin our drive westward towards the coast...
until we see green,
hills,
and we know the pacific ocean 
is just beyond...


and I am home.


I will be silent for a week,
I am not as technologically inclined as some...
my computer cannot travel with me, it has to stay where it is
my cell phone is just that, a phone, 
nothing fancy...


and so I tell you now that
on Monday when I would be counting my gifts with ann,
I will be pulling into the driveway of my childhood home,
hugging,
kissing,
pouring out tears upon my
mama, step daddy, sister and brother...
I will be living my counting of gifts.


On Wednesday when I would discuss spiritual disciplines with ann,
I will be holding my baby in the beach sand for the first time,
putting my feet in my ice cold, dirty green, but the one I love, ocean,
showing my children the living, beautiful star fish where we walk below the pier,
breathing in the sea air that is a part of me,
and thanking Him for it all.

Thursday, when I would write some imperfect prose along with emily,
I will be composing with my tears,
prose of joy and sadness, 
passing my goodbyes along to friends,
to family,
loading up the van again for a drive,
and we will all write poetry
in our memories,
in our emotions...
until next time.


So my friends,
I am off for a week,
my computer will be silent,
but my mind will be oh so loud...




3 comments:

  1. You will LOVE the southern Oregon Coast. I don't know where you are coming from but we just did the trip and it was awesome...over by Harris beach state park we found sea otters on the rocks...we stayed at a 'camper cabin' that was very nice in Brookings Chetco Rv park. I enjoyed the trip and will go back some day. I am from Yamhill county 'wine country'...a Oregon from birth... and a blogger too.
    have fun and make wonderful memories~ of course take pictures too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. looking forward to how you share this

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will be composing with my tears,
    prose of joy and sadness,
    passing my goodbyes along to friends,
    to family,
    loading up the van again for a drive,
    and we will all write poetry
    in our memories,
    in our emotions...
    until next time..
    "That touched Me"
    Dear Poetic Friend:

    I invite you to join us at Jingle Poetry : http://jinglepoetry.blogspot.com/, we have a Monday Poetry Potluck party (weekly) for you to enjoy, the link is open American Central Time 8pm to Tuesday, 8pm. You have 48 hours linking in 1 to 3 poems, you could use an old poem if you don’t have a most updated one handy…

    Hope to see you today, please do stop by and check us out.
    Let us know when you stop by so that we place your link in our blog list….
    Happy Sunday!

    ReplyDelete