Wednesday

Mercy Mothering

"Be merciful just as your Father is merciful."
Luke 6:36

And He is.

So I must be.

"My child, you are constantly behaving in the same way. You know you shouldn't."

Young face peers into mine.

"I'm sorry mama. I won't do it again. I'm sorry."

I hear myself say, "Don't say you are sorry. You always say that. You are always sorry. You always say you will not do it again."

And then I stop, tears come to my eyes.

Isn't that what I always say to my Father? "O Lord, forgive me. I am so sorry. I won't do it again."

And then I do.

And again I plead forgiveness, my heart breaking as I once again do what I wish I would not. My heart comforted as I know He forgives and will next time and next time...

Oh my child, how could I expect you to do what I cannot? How can I tell you not to say sorry when those words drip from my mouth in prayer daily? What if my Father, my Lord said to me, "Don't say sorry. You always do. You never change."

He never would.

I must never.

I call my child back, "Apologize my dear. It's okay. You are forgiven. I know you are trying and I am so glad. I love you.

And the love runs deep, and the grace flows...



No comments:

Post a Comment